Nuoc Mia Vien Dong 2 (San Jose, CA)

8:00:00 AM

Vietnamese Waffle

A Penny ($2) Well Spent For… Durian Waffles


Hot and crispy on the outside. Fluffy and aromatic on the inside.

Nothing tastes better than a fresh waffle on a Sunday afternoon.

And we’re not talking about your usual waffle flavors. This place is whipping up local favorites like pandan, taro and durian. We are in Little Saigon after all. But for those of you who aren’t as adventurous with your flavors, they also have strawberry and blueberry.

For $2, you can get any of the flavors and from what I can see, they also do “half/half” if you want half pandan and half taro. I think I’ll do that next time to satisfy both cravings.

After hearing about this place from a couple of my friends and relatives, I was excited to finally try out their waffles. Normally, I would go for the usual, which is pandan, but since they offered the option of DURIAN, I couldn’t resist.

To many, the smell of durian is comparable to rotten eggs or gym socks. Basically, nothing pleasant comes to mind for those who are not used to the smell. But, I LOVE it. I’ll eat it straight out of the shell. I’ll take it in a smoothie, shaved ice, mochi, puff pastry and etc.

And now, I’ll eat it in a waffle.

Taste wise, the durian was quite mild. It wasn’t overpowering, nor did it linger for long. The only time I caught a whiff of it was when I tore my waffle up into sections for more manageable eating. Sharing is caring, but my friend didn’t want any. Whelps! More for me~

It’s a cash only store, but there’s an ATM inside if you’re short on dollars.

The store is located in the plaza next to Grand Century Mall and they have plenty of seating outside for those who like to linger and sip on their Vietnamese coffee while munching on their waffles. The store sells a variety of drinks (che, coffee, boba, smoothies and etc), but their specialty: sugarcane drinks. I’ll come back for you one day! That day I already bought a drink from Soyful Desserts, so I didn’t get a chance to try their sugarcane drink.

They get a lot of foot traffic, but they work really quickly to crank out those waffles and drinks. Since they open early and close late, Nuoc Mia Vien Dong is always consistently busy--especially during summer days.

Durian Consensus? Yes? No? Or-I-wouldn’t-touch-it-from-a-40-ft-radius? In general, what type of waffle combinations do you like? I’ll take a regular waffle smeared with nutella any day.

Nuoc Mia Vien Dong 2
979 Story Road
Ste 7096
San Jose, CA 95122

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe