Happy Chinese New Year!

7:30:00 AM

Gong Hay Fat Choy! Xin Nian Quai Le!


Happy Chinese New Year! Celebrating the Year of the Sheep!

In my family, we ring in the new year by having a huge dinner at my grandma’s house. Everybody comes back for dinner and we catch up over food. Lots and lots of food.


It amazes me how much time and effort goes into preparing the feast every year. Everything is homemade and prepared hours leading up to the dinner.


No recipe book or measurements. Just skills and years and years of experience.

Walnut Shrimp
In another universe where all the women in my family have Instagram, you will be able to find them under #HBIC, #kitchengoddess, #wegotthis.

Now if only I have a way to inherit those skills.

Sweet and sour chicken
Fast forward a decade or two and Chinese New Year’s Eve becomes a trip to the restaurant for take out. Cough.

Roasted quail
Soup and rice not included, this was the children’s (though we all qualify as adults, not counting my nieces and nephews at the table) table.

Assorted seafood and mushrooms
Now take what you see on the children’s table and multiply by two and you get the adult’s table.

And lobster. I was all over this.
So for everybody who celebrates Lunar New Year out there, Happy New Year! I hope you have a fantastic year filled with happiness, love, prosperity and great health. Keep on celebrating because New Year isn’t over yet!


Do you have a family gathering during New Year’s Eve? If so, do you eat out at a restaurant or prepare everything at your house? And yes, I did received red envelopes. Rollin’ in my $2 bills! Mmhmm~

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe