Matcha-Do About Nothing - Let's Talk Tea

11:18:00 AM

My daily caffeine fix usually consists of the following on rotation: Darjeeling, English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Chai or Matcha. If you haven’t already figured out, they’re all names of tea. Despite America being a predominantly coffee drinking country, I am well rooted in the tea camp.

Not to say, I don’t drink coffee. No, that’s a lie because I do on occasion consume copious amounts to stay a functional human being during stressful work periods of my life.

But tea is practically woven into my DNA. I take it hot, cold, with milk, sugar, lemonade (not all together though…) and any other different concoctions that the brilliant minds out there can concoct.


Lately, I’ve got matcha on the brain. Matcha is finely grounded green tea leaves that are milled to the point that they become powder. It’s a bright green powder that becomes equally green when you add hot water and turn into a drink or mix it into batter to turn into cake. The reason why matcha is so pigmented is due to how they prepare matcha for harvest. A couple of weeks before harvest, the tea leaves are covered to prevent direct sunlight. This increases the chlorophyll levels and turn the leaves a richer shade of green.


TOP 6 Reasons to Try Matcha



  1. You get more caffeine in matcha than your typical green tea because you’re consuming the entire leaf instead of steeping the leaves.
  2. It’s versatile. You see it in drinks, cakes, desserts, shaved ice, ice cream and even POCKY.
  3. The taste of matcha can be described as sweet, but also grassy. It’s very mild compared to other teas. And if it’s bitter, that means it may be a bad grade.
  4. Matcha is traditionally used in a formal tea ceremony in Japan. And there are different grades for matcha. But you can find it in most Asian supermarkets or Amazon. My go-to markets are Mitsuwa, Nijiya or the local 99 Ranch. I was approached by Tenzo Tea to try out their matcha that’s grown in Japan and a product of California. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUSINESSES!
  5. It has a naturally calming effect, thanks to the higher levels of L-Theanine that is boosted from shading the leaves prior to harvest. If you’re a scatterbrain like me in the morning and naturally tethers from groggy and spastic, this is a fantastic morning booster.
  6. It’s instagram-worthy. Don’t let that color scare you because it’s au-naturel~

How I Prepare My Matcha


  1. Use a small spoon and eyeball an amount. I fill it about ⅓ of the spoon. Sometimes ½ if I feel like making a thicker tea.
  2. Just grabbed it from the office kitchen
    Take your favorite cup. I like something clear so that I can really work out the tea powder clumps. Pour the matcha into your cup.
  3. Add hot water. You don’t need much. Just enough to cover the surface of your cup. About 2-3 oz.
  4. Take your spoon and whisk vigorously to combine. You want to work out the powder pockets. If you have a matcha whisk, this is where you bust it out. A spoon is good substitute, but you want to take your time to avoid choking on matcha powder.
  5. At this point, you can add more hot water to dilute your matcha mixture and drink. You can drink it cold by adding cold water and ice cubes. Or turn it into a latte by adding milk. I don’t sweeten my matcha, but that’s definitely an option. A little agave syrup goes a long way.
  6. And that’s it! I would keep the spoon or a straw on hand to stir before you drink. Because matcha has a tendency to pool at the bottom.

And enjoy! There are a lot of tea varieties out there in the world, but matcha is definitely in my top 5.

What kind of tea do you drink? And how do you usually take it? My coworkers and I constantly joke around saying how I need a milk tea IV.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe