Halloween Costume: Morton Salt Girl

8:00:00 AM

"When it rains, it pours..."


Now that Halloween has come and gone, it feels a little silly to post about my Halloween costume, especially when this blog is neither about fashion nor focused on my life, but it does tie into food-- in a way. So I figured, why not?!




Last year, I was Wednesday Adams. I spent the whole day spreading doom and gloom and summoning every ounce of morbidity I could in the span of 24 hours. Whilst that was fun and I succeeded in scaring my coworkers, I decided to go for something lighter this year.


So, enter the Morton Salt Girl! She was actually on my list of ideas for last year as well, but Wednesday was much easier to pull together last minute than the Morton Salt Girl because I owned a lot more black clothes than I did yellow.

Funny enough, my runner up costume was going to be Madeline.

“In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines…”


She also wore a yellow dress. However, I’m sure she’s much harder to recognize than say a pantry staple.

The Outfit



It looks pretty self explanatory on the salt container, but trying to find a yellow long sleeves dress was a lot harder than I expected.

So in the end, my outfit boiled down to several components:

  • Yellow sleeveless dress from ASOS $18
  • Yellow cardigan from H&M $13
  • White tights from Forever 21 $6
  • Yellow flats from a shop in Great Mall $13

Total Cost: $50-ish

For me, I rather put together the pieces of my Halloween costume with the idea that I can reuse them at a later time than fork over $50 for a flimsy put together costume at the local costume shop.

I ran into a slight problem with the dress I bought from ASOS because even though it said SMALL on the tag, it was massive and absolutely shapeless. I had to bring in the help of my aunt who happened to be a seamstress to help me tailor it.

Add in a large umbrella and a container of salt (which I admit could be bigger), and presto!

Morton Salt Girl.

Admittedly, if you want to pick at the details, there’s plenty of things you could pick at. For instance, my hair isn’t short enough or how I’m not blonde, but overall, I’d say I did a good job.

I just wished the rain didn’t rain on my parade. I know I know, we’re in a horrible drought and the last thing I should be doing is complaining about rain, but tights and flats aren’t exactly rain-proof.

At least I had a umbrella.

What did you dress up as for Halloween this year? Or better yet, do you already have ideas for your costume for next year? I usually start brainstorming around August for my costume and sometimes I can’t decide and throw something last minute ala Wednesday Adams.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe